RegMed Competitive and Market Intelligence 4/30/12, stocks lower, VIX is up as traders tighten long positions
Today’s Gospel: RegMed stocks were lower. Monday … as investors respond to economic dismay and anticipate the grouping of earnings (LPS -loss-per-share) cheered by a handful of stem cell companies (CYTX, ATHX, GERN – this week). RegMed stocks … are still slumping on low volume … with few leader(s) … few green (ups) and more red (downs) and few black (flats) on the screen
- Aastrom (ASTM) is up $0.08 or 3.21% to $2.57 and moving mid-day range ($2.473 – $2.58) with volume of 118K while many Funds and brokers recognize their better sustainability focus;
- Dendreon (DNDN) is up +$0.33 to $11.68 in a day’s range of $11.02 to $11.48 while Pluristem (PSTI) is up $0.03 on news of their R&D credit or subsidy versus their claim to a government investment;
- Minimal upward moves … are Athersys (ATHX), International Stem Cell (OTC BB: ISCO), Opexa (OPXA), Tengion (TNGN) and Verastem (VSTM);
- Minimal downward moves … BioTime (Amex: BTX), BioMimetic (BMTI), Cytomedix (OTC BB: CMXI), Cytori (CYTX), Geron (GERN), ImmunoCellular (OTC BB: IMUC), ThermoGenesis (KOOL) and Osiris (OSIR).
EconRecon: Business activity in the Midwest fell to 56.2 in April from 62.2 in the prior month, according to the Chicago ISM. Economists expected a reading of 61.0. Any reading above 50 indicates expansion while readings below indicate contraction. Household income climbed 0.4% in March, the biggest gain in 3 months, according to the Commerce Department. Analysts had expected a gain of 0.3%; as consumer spending only edged up 0.3%.
Mid-Day: The NASDAQ is DOWN -19.77 (-0.64%) to 3,049.43 while the Dow is DOWN -27.93 (-0.21%) to 13,200.38.
Mid-Day Market Commentary: Stocks have experienced a moderate … decline in the mid-day Monday session, giving back … most … of the RegMed gains seen last week. The economy is in focus … with the release of new figures on personal income and spending.
Who is UP … Mid-day:
- Aastrom (ASTM);
- Athersys (ATHX);
- Dendreon (DNDN);
- International Stem Cell (OTC BB: ISCO);
- Opexa (OPXA)
- StemCells (STEM);
- Tengion (TNGN).
What’s new in the regenerative medicine/stem cell market … Nothing to speak about … to know today …