RegMed Weekly Trend Line
US equities closed higher on Friday as 7 of 10 S&P sectors finished higher, although the same numbers (7 & 10) also lagged the S&P. Yet another round of weak economic data, once again … raised worries for the domestic economic recovery.
An up-tick on Friday couldn’t save the major indexes from another rough week, as the Dow fell 1.4% and the S&P 500 gave up 2.1%. It is the 8th losing week in the past 11 for both of the indexes.
A strong earnings report from Google (GOOG) and an active day for mergers & acquisitions helped boost the market on Friday, even as consumer sentiment numbers from the University of Michigan came in well below estimates. But more concerns about EU debt, and further threats from ratings agencies that they will downgrade US debt ratings if the debt ceiling isn’t raised pulled markets down throughout the week. To a lesser extent, the recent moves by Moody’s and then S&P to warn on US debt remained an overhang on sentiment.
In Europe, bank stress test results were better than low expectations. Looking ahead, the earnings calendar hits full stride next week.
At the end of the week (7/8/11), the NASDAQ was UP +27.13 (0.98%) to 1289.80 (LW: 1259.21). The Dow was also UP +42.61 (0.34) to 12,379.73 (LW=12,657.20) … during these summer months the universe will suffer from a lack of news and momentum from visibility issues which “stems” overall risk sentiment. (Last week close, 7/15/11 = LW)
- BioTime (AMEX: BTX) up +$0.08 (+1.63%) to $4.99 (LW $5.26);
- Brainstorm (BCLI.OB) up $0.012 (+2.64%) to $0.463 (LW $0.44);
- ImmunoCellar Therapeutics (IMUC) up +$0.15 (7.14%) to $2.25 (LW $2.15);
- Fibrocell Sciences (OTC: FCSC) up +$0.030 (+4.48%) to $0.70 (LW:$0.71 );
- Pluristem (PSTI) up +0.09 (+2.70%) to $3.42 (LW $3.33);
- ReNeuron Group (RENE.L) up +$0.28 (6.54%) to $5.15 (LW $5.00);
- ThermoGenesis (KOOL) up +$0.03 (+1.43%) to $2.13 (LW $2.05);
- Tengion (TNGN) up +$0.03 (+2.31%) to $1.33 (LW $1.16).
- Advanced Cell Technology (OTC: ACTC) down -$0.004 (-1.93%) to $0.183 (LW $0.185);
- Athersys (ATHX) down -$0.01 (-0.19%) to $2.76 (LW $2.84):
- Aastrom (ASTM) down -$0.01 (-0.39%) to $2.67 (LW $2.73);
- BioMimetic (BMTI) down -$0.18 (-3.93%) to $4.40 (LW $4.52);
- Cytori (CYTX) down -0.01 (-0.20%) to $4.98 (LW $5.38);
- International Stem Cell (ISCOE.OB) down -$0.04 (-4.21%) to $0.91 (LW $0.99);
- Neuralstem (AMEX:CUR) down -$0.05 (-3.33%) to $1.45 (LW $1.37);
- Osiris (OSIR) down -$0.28 (-3.40%) to $7.95 (LW $7.98);
- StemCells (STEMD) down -$0.58 (-11.42%) to $4.50<1 to 10 reverse > (LW $6.08).
- BioHeart (BHRT.OB) flat at $0.10 (LW:$0.09);
- Geron (GERN) flat at $4.03 (LW $3.99);
- Opexa (OPXA) flat at $1.56 (LW $1.54);
- NeoStem (AMEX: NBS) flat at $1.41 (LW $1.53).
The Bottom Line: Declining stocks versus advancers (9 versus 8 compared to 6 versus 14 last week compared to 11 versus 6 the previous week spotlights momentum issues in indicators.
This weeks biggest winners (that is a misnomer) of the regenerative medicine universe close were: ReNeuron Group (RENE.L) up +$0.28 (6.54%) to $5.15; ImmunoCellar Therapeutics (IMUC) up +$0.15 (7.14%) to $2.25 and Pluristem (PSTI) up +0.09 (+2.70%) to $3.42.
- http://www.scimitarequity.com/blog/2011/07/15/regmed-daily-dialogue-71511-i-am-suffering-from-crisis-and-information-overload ;
Referenced announcements: worth reviewing …
NeoStem (AMEX: NBS) signs Definitive Merger Agreement to acquire Amorcyte in Equity Transaction: http://www.scimitarequity.com/blog/2011/07/14/breaking-news-neostem-amex-nbs-signs-definitive-merger-agreement-to-acquire-amorcyte-in-equity-transaction
This Week’s Treatise: Visibility remains a major issue but, momentum is driving pricing slowly and surely, hopefully not eaten by short sellers! There is a NEW reality and expectation and the outlook for growth. RegMed stocks will continue to be volatile in this market … investors should feel the “re-appreciation” of their shares.
We all need an upgrade in our systems and site layered with a few days off … so enjoy the week as I will … to some degree!