Regenerative Medicine Weekly Trend Line
At the end of the week, the NASDAQ was DOWN -7.22 (-0.28%) to 2616.48 (LW: 2643.73). The Dow was UP +42.84 (+0.36) to 11,951.91 (LW: 11,951.26).
US equities closed mixed on Friday, despite a strong open on easing Greek fears and relatively benign economic data. The NASDAQ was heavily weighed upon by continued weakness and the Dow narrowly snapped their 6 week streaks. Impactful macro catalysts over the weekend include the start of debate ahead of a confidence vote from the Greek Parliament, and the potential for incremental monetary actions from the Central Bank in China on both the Yuan and interest rates.
U.S. stocks posted their first weekly gain since April on Friday, with the S&P 500 and Dow industrials ending moderately higher in the face of worries about Europe’s debt crisis and a slowdown in the U.S. economy. Uncertainty has capped gains but, stocks weathered conflicting economic reports.
More CLARITY is needed to focus outlook re regulatory hurdles to FOCUS this universe. Expect … LITTLE … during these summer months from the universe or economic front to “stem” the decline in overall risk sentiment. (Last week close, 6/10/11 = LW)
- Advanced Cell Technology (OTC: ACTC) up +$0.003 (1.86%) to $0.192 (LW $0.193);
- Aastrom (ASTM) up +$0.03 (+1.21%) to $2.51 (LW $2.89);
- BioMimetic (BMTI) up +$0.18 (0.52%) to $5.78 (LW $5.62);
- ImmunoCellar Therapeutics (IMUC) up +$0.04 (2.09%) to $1.95 (LW $1.96);
- ReNeuron Group (RENE.L) up +$0.07 (+1.37%) to $5.17 (LW $4.90);
- Opexa (OPXA) up +$0.03 (1.86%) to $1.64 (LW $1.63);
- Pluristem (PSTI) up +$0.07 (+2.59%) to $2.97 (LW $2.68);
- Tengion (TNGN) up +$0.03 (+2.29%) to $1.34 (LW $1.13).
- ThermoGenesis (KOOL) up +$0.05 (+2.62%) to $1.96 (LW $2.07).
- BioHeart (BHRT.OB) down -$0.01 (-10.0%) to $0.09 (LW:$0.13);
- Brainstorm (BCLI.OB) flat at $0.27 (LW $0.288);
- BioTime (AMEX: BTX) down -$0.03 (-0.67%) to $4.46 (LW $4.23);
- Cytori (CYTX) down -$0.03 (-0.63%) to $4.76 (LW $5.00);
- Geron (GERN) down -0.16 (-3.98%) to $3.86 (LW $4.06);
- International Stem Cell (ISCOE.OB) down -$0.07 (-6.25%) to $1.05 (LW $0.90);
- NeoStem (AMEX: NBS) down -$0.01 (-0.69%) to $1.44 (LW $1.40);
- Osiris (OSIR) down -$0.10 (-1.46%) to $6.75 (LW $7.06).
- StemCells (STEM) down -$0.034 (-5.79%) to $0.55 (LW $0.53); and
- Athersys (ATHX) flat at $2.69 (LW $2.76):
- Neuralstem (AMEX:CUR) flat at $1.44 (LW $1.22).
The Bottom Line: Declining stocks versus advancers (9 versus 9 as compared to 3 versus 16 last week from the previous week’s 14 to 3) highlights mobility in indicators. This weeks biggest winners (that is a misnomer) of the regenerative medicine universe close were BioMimetic (BMTI) up +$0.18 (0.52%) to $5.78, ReNeuron Group (RENE.L) up +$0.07 (+1.37%) to $5.17 and Pluristem (PSTI) up +$0.07 (+2.59%) to $2.97.
We have all heard the reviews, listened to the reports as some believe the economy needs a shot in the arm. Fear is dominating perception. As the stock market continues its volatile movements, our universe NEEDS news for ANY upward mobility (a new favorite word). Begin browsing for bargains … I believe there are a few. Reiterating, our universes is VERY oversold.
We are not out of the woods of declines …in the stock markets but stocks ended a six (6) week slide but, our indicators are becoming more neutral. Reiterating, recent soft economic numbers and refusal of stocks to bounce convincingly have reset investor expectations toward tougher markets. In my purview, the universes investor base is waiting for … clinical initiatives that focus the future. I am still … very … concerned about short ratios and time to cover days.
Highlighting the week:
- http://www.scimitarequity.com/blog/2011/06/14/the-regmed-daily-dialogue-61411-resetting-the-bounce-criteria-close-to-a-bottom and
My end of the week treatise … despite all the gyrations, valuations in the RegenMed/StemCell universe are … cheap.
The stock market is NOT finished with gyration … technical(s) confirm that investors will continue to have a tough summer.
Short sellers keep the market HONEST … to a degree. Managements need to pay more attention to these factors and understand and IDENTIFY the FACTORS of some funds ability to drive down shares. Friday (6/17/11) was a quadruple witching multiple option expiration day … and the universe barely shrunk.
Continue to … KEEP your eyes on the level of short ratios and days to cover … your shares are being lent to short sellers by institutions at a profit to them and a detriment to your portfolio … More to come … on this issue!!
But even as the economic news stays ugly, now is the perfect time to identify the universe stocks that will signal an end to the decline. I LOOK at my bellwethers (ranked) of … CYTX, ATHX, BMTI, AMEX: BTX, GERN, IMUC.OB, OSIR … and … AMEX: NBS.
I would stay AWAY from those companies who need to raise cash to fuel over-extended spending from exorbitant burn rates.