US Patent for increasing Telomerase Activity, Geron (GERN)
The patent covers the use of certain compounds to up-regulate telomerase expression in cells.
- This significantly adds to the proprietary rights to GERN;
- TAS has exclusive worldwide rights to technology under this patent for nutraceutical and cosmetic applications.
Telomere Biology has become the most relevant topic in anti-aging research.
- By reactivating telomerase, they rejuvenated worn out organs in mice that were the equivalent biological age to 80 year old humans;
- This along with the 2009 Nobel Prize in Medicine being awarded for the discovery of telomerase and the publication of over 8,000 other scientific articles about telomere biology confirm the emergence of a major scientific platform.
This emphasizes the importance of short telomeres in the aging process and has ushered in a new approach to how we tackle aging in humans. That approach is to stop telomere shortening by activating telomerase.
- TA-65 is the first and only product available which has been shown to effectively activate this enzyme;
- TA-65 has been provided to hundreds of clients for nearly 4 years with significant demonstrated anti-aging and immune boosting benefits;
The awarding of the patent follows the 1st published peer reviewed scientific paper on TA-65: “A Natural Product Telomerase Activator…” which appeared in the journal Rejuvenation Research in Sept 2010.
- This study focused on 2 key results that were observed in T.A. Sciences’ clients who had taken TA-65 for a 12 month period;
- TA-65 led to a reduction in the percentage of short telomeres in immune cells and also showed a significant restoration of the immune system back to a more youthful profile;
- A number of other significant improvements were observed in various biomarkers which show decline with age;
- There were no reported side effects.
Two earlier papers help to confirm these benefits:
- The first paper (Fauce, 2008) describes the chemical structure of a small molecule telomerase activator discovered at the GERN in collaboration with the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology;
- They were able to demonstrate that activating telomerase with a telomerase activator slowed the rate of telomere loss, increased replicative capacity (without immortalization or signs of tumor transformation), restored cytokine and chemokine response of cytotoxic CD8 cells exposed to specific antigens;
- The second, a 2005 Double Blind, Placebo Controlled Human Trial also demonstrated improvements in immune function, vision, sexual function, and skin elasticity.
T.A. Sciences is the first company in the world to offer its clients the ability to fight aging through the emerging science of telomere biology. T.A. Sciences was founded by Noel Thomas Patton in 2002 based on advanced technology licensed from GERN. In 2007, after 5 years of development and safety testing, T.A. Sciences began selling TA-65, the first commercially available telomerase activator. TA-65 is a very rare natural molecule found in the well known Chinese herb astragalus. (www.TASciences.com)
“Cells are the building blocks for all tissues in the human body and cell division plays a critical role in the normal growth, maintenance and repair of human tissue. We (GERN) and our collaborators have shown that telomeres, located at the ends of chromosomes, are key genetic elements involved in the regulation of the cellular aging process. Thus, this shortening of the telomeres effectively serves as a molecular ‘clock’ for cellular aging. We and others have shown that when the enzyme telomerase is introduced into normal cells, it can restore telomere length – reset the ‘clock’ – thereby increasing the functional lifespan of the cells. Importantly, it does this without altering the cells’ biology or causing them to become cancerous…Controlled activation of telomerase in normal cells can restore telomere length or slow the rate of loss, improve functional capacity and increase the proliferative lifespan of cells,” Source: Geron 2009 Annual Report.