Cosmetic and Reconstructive Surgery Market is Huge, Cytori Therapeutics (NASDAQ: CYTX)
Updating our Cytori Therapeutics blogs of 11/3/09 and 11/10/09 …
Completion of the RESTORE 2 study is – IMPORTANT – because it lays the foundation for – reimbursement – in the EU; CYTX is already – CE Marked – for certain uses in the EU!
- Breast cancer is the most frequent cancer in women worldwide; it is responsible for 26.5% of all new cancer cases and 17.5% of EU cancer deaths among women. In the enlarged EU, there are around 270,000 new cases of breast cancer each year and 96,000 cancer deaths. Breast cancer prevalence is rising in the EU due to increasing age and shows no signs of stopping,
- Interim data on the first 32 patients who have reached the 6 month follow-up will be presented as a “poster” at the San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium on 12/12/09.
Bottom Line: The RESTORE 2 study is a prospective, multi-center, post-marketing study in which all patients were treated with their own ADRCs and fat tissue:
- Reiterating, for patients requiring breast reconstruction after lumpectomy for breast cancer; implants do not adequately address these defects while surgical options are traumatic and require prolonged hospitalization,
- There is – NO – generally accepted reconstructive method for partial mastectomy patients as the majority of these women are not implant candidates – leaving patients with limited options,
- The study is designed to assess patient and physician satisfaction, improvement in overall breast deformity, imaging, quality of life and safety among other measures,
- This cell-enriched breast reconstruction procedure combines a patient’s own naturally occurring adipose-derived regenerative cells (ADRCs) with their fat tissue. This cell-enriched fat graft is then injected into and around the defect area,
- CYTX completed enrollment (announced yesterday 11/16) in a 70 patient, international breast cancer reconstruction study, RESTORE 2 in 7 centers in the EU,
- This study is evaluating the use of cell-enriched fat grafting to “restore functional and cosmetic deformities” in women who have undergone partial mastectomy for early breast cancer,
- CYTX closed at $3.98 on 11/16/09, up from $3.30 from our 11/10/09 post with a market cap of $146.50 M,
- CFO Mark Saad was interviewed (11/16/09) on Bloomberg TV,
- Clinical data and results are the only driver of this sector … at this time!